A collection for solo traditional musician and electronics
Úna Monaghan (harp and computer)
Paddy Glackin (fiddle)
Saileog Ní Cheannabháin (piano)
Tiarnán Ó Duinnchinn (uilleann pipes)
Pauline Scanlon (voice)
Jack Talty (concertina)
AONARACHT is a groundbreaking combination of Irish traditional and experimental electronic music.
A collection of original pieces for solo traditional musician and computer.
A completely new soundworld created by Úna Monaghan and recorded by six of Ireland’s foremost performers. Each piece is a unique combination of the traditional musician, their instrument, and electronics.
This recording explores how technology can be used to sound the world of traditional music beyond the tunes. A custom made interactive relationship for each musician with the computer, involving fixed media, electroacoustic sound, field recordings, improvisation and live electronics.
Each piece has a different theme, exploring Irish traditional music and poetry, artificial intelligence, feminism, instrumentation and community. Featuring text by Maureen Boyle, Ciaran Carson and Cathal Ó Searcaigh.
Tracks (with short description)
1. Between the Piper and the Pipes The soundscape, ritual and badge of the uilleann pipes
2. The Chinwag The music of conversation, accent, life and history
3. Safe Houses Traditional music by artificial intelligence
4. What Haven’t We Heard? A vocal feminism in context
5. Traditional Architecture The piano as a physical and musical structure
6. Who Do You Play For? Traditional music as social treasure